Divorce Lawyers in Chicago Putting You and Your Needs First
Divorce is one of the most difficult situations anyone can face. For those going through a divorce, you want to make sure that your rights and best interests are protected throughout the process. Choosing legal representation with experience and knowledge of the law will help ease some of the stress and pressure that comes along with such a complicated situation. The lawyers at The Law Offices of Robert B. Buchanan have dedicated their careers to helping people just like you deal with all aspects of divorce-related matters such as division of assets, custody arrangements, spousal support, and more.
When you contact our divorce law firm, we will go over everything that is going on with your case and take the time to examine your situation in order to provide a legal strategy that works best for you and your needs. Our knowledgeable and experienced divorce lawyers in Chicago will handle all aspects of your case with care and dedication to make sure we get the best possible outcome for you. Whether you need help with a contested or uncontested divorce, we take everything on a case-by-case basis. Contact us today at (312) 757-4833.
What Should I Consider While Getting Divorced?
Divorce is never easy, especially when children are involved. However, in some situations, divorce is necessary if both parties have made the decision that they cannot continue living together. Even though it may be difficult to deal with all of the emotions that come along with this life-changing decision, there are certain steps you should take when getting divorced in order to protect your best interests. These include considering the following:
- Child Custody Arrangements: If there are any children involved in your case, child custody arrangements will need to be determined by the court before anything else can occur. If you and your spouse agree on child custody terms, make sure everything is put into writing and signed by both parties before filing for divorce to avoid future problems. However, if you and your spouse cannot agree on child custody terms, a judge will decide what is best for the children involved in your case.
- Child Support: Another important factor to consider when determining child custody terms is who will provide financial support for the minor children during and after a divorce. Child support must also be determined if one party has primary custody of the child or children involved in your case. Once child support is determined, it cannot be modified by either party unless there is a substantial change in circumstances.
- Dividing Marital Property: There may be certain assets involved in your divorce such as bank accounts, real estate property, retirement funds, stocks, and more. When determining the division of assets, you should know how much each asset is worth so that equitable distribution can be reached between both parties involved. You will want to consider splitting up the assets as evenly as possible but also think about what you and your children will need to live day-to-day.
- Spousal Support: In some situations, one party may require financial assistance from the other after a divorce is settled. Courts usually do not like to leave either party without enough money to care for themselves after a divorce. If you feel you will require support or if you believe your ex-spouse deserves support, be sure to speak with one of our attorneys at our family law firm before proceeding with filing for divorce in order to receive proper guidance on this matter.
What Can a Divorce Lawyer Do For Me?
We at The Law Offices of Robert B. Buchanan have years of experience handling divorce cases for our clients. Our attorneys will fight to get you the best possible outcome when it comes to divorce proceedings, and your legal rights, so you can move on with your life after your divorce is finalized. Whether it’s a legal separation, a contested divorce process, property division, marital property, parental responsibilities, visitation, or mediation, our experienced divorce attorneys are here to help make this an amicable divorce. For more information about how we can help you through this difficult time, call our family law office today.
How Long Can A Divorce Take?
The duration of a divorce will depend on the following factors:
- The Co-Parenting Relationship Between Exes: If you are amicable with your ex-spouse, it may be more efficient for your case to go through the court system without compromising any time limits. However, if you and your ex-spouse cannot agree on many issues, including child custody arrangements or division of assets, it is possible that your divorce could take longer than expected.
- The Number of Assets Involved in Your Case: Depending on how much property or financial assets you have, dividing up these items can take up more time when going through a divorce.
- Number of Dependents Involved: Children require priority during a divorce because they are under someone else’s care. Making sure that each minor child is safe and receiving proper care while you go through this life-changing event is crucial to the process. Our law firm will ensure these important factors are taken into consideration when determining how long it will take for your divorce to be finalized.
The Law Offices of Robert B. Buchanan will put together a timeline for your case based on the factors mentioned above and let you know what to expect from start to finish. We want you to have a firm understanding of where your divorce is in the court system, when you should be expecting certain motions or hearings and when we anticipate finishing up with your case. If you have any additional questions or would like more information, please feel free to contact our office and we will gladly help you through this process.
Why Should I Hire a Divorce Lawyer?
A divorce lawyer can help you make sure that all of your rights and best interests are preserved during your legal proceedings. Our attorneys will also ensure you receive the best possible outcome when it comes to child custody terms, parental rights, division of assets, and spousal support. The Law Offices of Robert B. Buchanan can guide you through this process successfully and efficiently by limiting surprises as much as possible.
It is important for our clients to have a clear understanding of how long their case may take so they can move forward with their lives after going through a divorce. Depending on several factors such as co-parenting abilities, the number of assets involved, and the number of dependents, our lawyers will let you know if your divorce could take months or years before it is finalized.
We will work with you to ensure that everything goes smoothly so the entire process is as stress-free as possible. Contact our office at (312) 757-4833 to discuss your case today.