Family Law Attorneys in Downers Grove Helping You Resolve Your Matters Effectively
Family law issues like child custody, divorce, or orders of protection can be challenging to navigate independently. During this stressful time of your life, the last thing you want to do is negotiate with other attorneys or fill out confusing paperwork. With a family law attorney on your side, you can rest easy knowing that your family law case is in good hands.
Unfortunately, family law matters can have a significant impact on your life, especially in issues of child custody and divorce. The outcome of cases like these can affect where you live, how often you see your children, or how much you’re paying in child support or spousal support. It’s essential to have a professional family law attorney on your side to get the results that you deserve in a timely manner.
At The Law Offices of Robert B. Buchanan, we are experienced in multiple areas of family law, so we know exactly how to handle your case. Our attorneys provide services to resolve your issues as quickly and as effectively as possible. We pride ourselves on providing compassionate, knowledgeable legal services to our clients, and we are confident that we can assist you, too. Don’t hesitate to reach out if you need help with a family law matter. Call us today at 630-866-8303.
What Areas Does Family Law Cover?
Family law is a broad practice area that covers many different types of cases. Typically, family law covers any matter involving family members, both blood-related and by marriage. However, there are some common types of cases that our team sees often.
Family law may include topics like:
- Contested divorce. A contested divorce is when spouses do not agree on the terms of the divorce. In this case, negotiations and mediation may be necessary to reach a compromise and finalize the divorce proceedings. If both parties do not reach an agreement, litigation before a judge is the final step.
- Uncontested divorce. In an uncontested divorce, both parties generally agree on the divorce terms. However, having a professional attorney review your divorce papers is still a good idea to ensure they are fair and just. Our team can also help you file for divorce correctly to minimize the time it takes.
- Military divorce. When one or both spouses is a servicemember, the divorce process has different rules and regulations. Splitting up military benefits, like a military pension, can complicate matters quickly. Our team will help you settle any disputes to ensure your military divorce process is finalized as soon as possible.
- LGBTQ divorce. In same-sex marriage, child custody can be challenging to settle. Because there may only be one biological parent, spouses may have difficulty agreeing on how much custody or child support payment there should be. Our lawyers can assist you in advocating for your rights during your divorce.
- High net worth divorce. When both spouses have assets valued at $1 million or more, it is considered a high net worth divorce. These divorces often come with greater financial risk, and dividing up marital property can be a point of contention. With an attorney from our team on your side, you can protect your assets and advocate for yourself during your divorce.
- Child custody battles. During a divorce, child custody must be agreed upon by both parents. If you and your spouse cannot agree, our team can help you fight for custody of your minor children, whether that is through mediation, negotiations, or litigation.
- Child support. If you have children under 18 years old, you are obligated to pay for their needs and expenses. Child support payments are typically based on your income and your assets. However, without a divorce attorney on your side, you could be asked to pay more than you can afford.
- Property division. During a divorce, any property that is considered marital property must be divided equitably between both parties. Unfortunately, property division is subjective, and not all divorce papers divide it fairly. Our team will help you protect your rights and advocate for the property that is legally yours.
- Spousal support. Spousal support is a payment between two spouses. Typically, it is requested to keep up a standard of living or pay for a former spouse’s needs. Our team can help you negotiate spousal support to either pay or receive what is fair after your divorce.
Since many of these topics are sensitive and emotional subjects, it is essential to hire a family law lawyer to stay by your side every step of the way. Our team is dedicated to informing our clients and keeping them on track to make their legal proceedings as efficient as possible. By stepping in early, we can assist you in your family law matters to wrap them up quickly and close this chapter in your life.
Our law team has extensive experience with all matters of family law. No matter what area of the law you need assistance with, give us a call today. Our team will review your case free of charge so you can assess your options before hiring an attorney.
What Does a Family Lawyer Do?
Family law attorneys assist clients with any matters related to family court. This can include divorce proceedings and spousal maintenance, child custody cases, visitation rights, or property division. Since these matters are often emotional and overwhelming, our team can help you navigate the legal system to avoid mistakes and ease the process. The attorneys on our team can provide representation in court, help during negotiations with family members or spouses, or use an alternative dispute resolution method through mediation or arbitration.
If you hire a family law lawyer from our team, we will remain in contact with you every step of the way. We aim to provide compassionate and sensitive representation so your family law matters are handled with care. And since all family law matters are unique, your legal strategy will be, too. Our team will review your case and determine the best path forward to get the outcome you deserve.
At our law firm, we understand that family law matters can be cost-prohibitive. While litigation is always an option, we will work with you to seek out-of-court solutions to your family law matters to avoid an expensive and time-consuming court case. Your case may be solved through meditation or other negotiation tactics, even if a settlement does not seem like an option at this point.
What Can I Expect During a Family Law Consultation?
Discussing your family law matter with an attorney for the first time can be nerve-wracking. Understanding what to expect can boost your confidence and give you insight into the family law process. When you meet with an attorney from our team for the first time, we will ask you to describe your case and any proceedings that have happened previously. We will talk to you about negotiations, mediation, and arbitration if any of those are applicable. Finally, we will develop a legal strategy to help you move forward with your case to resolve your matters effectively.
We understand that no two family law matters are the same, which means our legal strategies aren’t, either. We will listen carefully to your case and evaluate what has already happened and what needs to happen in the future. We always aim to get our clients the results they want in a timely manner to save money and facilitate the process quickly.
Call Our Downers Grove Family Law Attorneys Today!
Family law matters are often sensitive subjects that can be emotionally and financially draining. Filling out paperwork and negotiating with legal representatives is the last thing you want to do when your home or your children are on the line. Hiring a family law attorney is the best way to resolve your case quickly and get the outcome that you deserve in a timely manner.
As your family law lawyers, our team can help you:
- Negotiate with spouses using mediation or arbitration
- File divorce papers
- Represent you in court, if necessary
- Advocate for your parental rights in a child custody case
- Protect your assets during a divorce
- Ensure that your divorce papers are fair and just
And more. No matter what your family law matter is, please don’t feel like you have to go through this time alone. Our team is here to help you and would be happy to review your case and give you legal advice. Since the initial consultation is free, you can weigh your options and ask us questions before hiring anyone on our team. Call The Law Offices of Robert B. Buchanan today at 630-866-8303.